Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My first auction...

Hi Everyone!  Well, I did it.  I attended my first estate auction.  My first time out as a bidder.  And I think I did a fabulous job!  I've been so anxious to show you things that I got, but I had to wait until yesterday to pick my items up.  I spent my lunch break yesterday getting the trailer and heading back to the auction space to load up my loot.
 The first thing I bid on and won was a set of four glass items.  I wanted this item and my cousin wanted two matching glass containers with lids so we split it.  I have a collection of pitchers and this will be a nice addition to it. (I didn't get a picture of the other juice container but it wasn't anything special).
 The next thing I got was a box of sheet music.  My dad actually did the bidding on this.  Thanks Dad!
 I got this dresser (which needs to be re-glued) for a steal.  I know it looks like a lot of work, but it's not anything I can't handle.  And I love the size and shape of it.
 I bid on a couple of other dressers, but they went for more than my price limit.  So instead I got this one.  It has a terrible paint job on it, but it I love the style.....
 ....and the size is wonderful.  I think I might have to strip the top...and it definitely needs new handles.
 Then I got these two huge frames....I can do so many things with them....
 ....and then I got this stool...
 ... it is such a cute size and shape...
 ...and at the last second they threw these yardsticks in.
 I loved this little gate legged table and I almost missed bidding on it.  I was busy talking to the lady next to me about a chair she got and what she was going to do with it.  I hadn't even realized that they were auctioning this table off until my cousin nudged me asking if I was going to bid.
Um...yes please...so I jumped in on the bidding and got it.  I love these legs.  It needs to be re-glued at the gate part, but again, nothing I can't handle.  I think some people liked it but stayed away from it because it needed a little attention.  I can't wait to remake this one.
 And this next piece was something I REALLY wanted when I saw the pictures posted online for this auction but I thought for sure there was no way I could get it.  I just knew antique dealers would be there and it would go high.....but it didn't.  Can you believe I got this!  Isn't it lovely.
 The details and the carvings are great....
...and the legs are wonderful!  I love this piece and I can't wait to redo it.  It was toward the end of the auction and the crowd had thinned and the top of it has some scratches and needs some love (which is why I think the antique dealers stayed away from this piece too)...lucky me!  I have to say that I enjoyed my first auction...but it was a long day.  We got there at 11:00...they were to begin at Noon at this site (they started at the acreage with outdoor items at 9:00) but didn't get started until 1:00 and I left at 6:15 right as it was ending.

I can't wait to get started on these pieces.  I just can't decide which one to start on first.  But I should probably finish the things I've started first.  So have you been to an auction lately?  Or have you ever gotten something you didn't think you'd be able to?  Thanks for stopping by.

Linking to:
http://knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com/2013/08/knick-of-time-tuesday-99.html 

13 comments :

  1. Used to go to auctions a few years ago, and they were such fun! You got some amazing pieces, especially the buffet and the gateleg table! Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you got some great stuff! I have not gone to an auction yet I better get with it you scored!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Holly! My first Winterset auction was a riot. My sweet Uncle Jim and my sweet hubby were both helping me get every little thing I expressed interest in, and at one point they got separated, and ended up bidding against each other for something I wanted. We laughed so hard when they finally spotted each other across the room, bidding on the same item!! Miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you pulled in quite a haul at your first auction, and I won't even pretend I'm not jealous of the buffet, that's gonna be one fantastic redo.
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. For your first auction you weren't shy, were you? Did you get to hold up a number or have a signature wave to signal you wanted to buy something? And, curious minds want to know, what kind of good deals are we talking? Does it fall into the not quite as good as a garage sale but maybe as good or better than a thrift store?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did great! I am an auction Addict! Love them. Sometimes everything goes very high and sometimes you get great deals. I usually don't get a lot of large items because I have to find a truck to borrow but....my husband just bought a truck. Happy dance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my Holly! what a haul! why the trailer?

    love the yellow looking chest of drawers. and the buffet!

    auction? I have been to one in the last 20 years... it was smelly and smoky, so we only stayed about 10 minutes. Seeing what you got makes me want to go.... NOW.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been to an action but I loved doing it vicariously through you. It looks like you some great pieces. The table is my favorite.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to an auction, like you, I think I'd be worried about bidding for something I didn't want. You got some amazing stuff though Holly, I'm sure you'll turn it all into very stunning pieces. I especially love the buffet and the chest of drawers with the bow fronted top drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SUPER COOL BUFFET! Absolutely beautiful carvings on it, and I love the turned legs. I'm digging that strange table you picked up, too. It's so tall and unusual...so different and unexpected. What are your plans for the table?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Looks like the auction had some really great furniture - you found some amazing treasures :) The gate leg table is a favourite of mine! Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice items from the Auction. I recently attended my first auction a few weeks ago, I have never been to one and wanted to just see how they were run. I was not going to buy anything just check it out. I am curious to know what you paid for your various items if you do not mind telling me. I am sure you do not want to display your prices on line but if you could send me a email that would be great. I am just curious to know because a friend and I are planning to attend a few others in our area so this is of interest to me. The auction that I attended a few weeks ago was not that great, it was not an estate sale auction it is one that is held every friday and people set up tables with their stuff so I think that one is a little different from an estate sale auction. I just was wondering how good or bad the pricing is. I have been to a lot of Estate sales and I wonder if an auction gets you better pricing. I also like to refinish furniture and have just started doing this in the last year. I really find it very relaxing (a lot of work) but I really enjoy seeing the finished product. You do really nice work, I am learning more and more as I explore different sites and see such nice work that you and others do. And it is great that you share how you work on your furniture.
    Best wishes to you and I hope you hear from you in an email
    Thank you for your consideration
    Debbie
    daubin56@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete