Thursday, May 19, 2011

Headboard bench and cushion...

Hi Everyone!  I'm still working on a list of projects including a custom bench but wanted to share this headboard bench with you.  I wish I had taken a picture of the headboard/footboard before I started, but I wasn't thinking clearly.  And please forgive the tractor wheel in the background.  I share shop space with our John Deere tractor.
 And thanks to my mother for making yet another cushion.  One of these days I'm going to get my own sewing machine and make them myself.  But until then, Mom to the rescue.  Her sewing machine is 50+ years old and requires a special touch that I don't have, but thank goodness Mom does!
 Even though I've made plenty of benches, this is one of my favorites and of course the pictures just don't do the lines of it justice.  This set did not come with the turned ball finials on top of the post.
I added those to give it a more finished look and I'm really glad that I did.  It went to a really nice lady in town that just loves everything I make.  She ordered this back in September at a Craft Fair and told me not to hurry, just sometime next year (meaning this year).  And thank goodness she wasn't in a hurry as I had so many orders to fill for clients that didn't want to wait.  I think that's why I probably went the extra step to add the finials to the posts.  I'm still working on the other custom bench and have taken another order for a garden bench.  Busy, busy, busy but that's good news!  Too bad I don't get to do this full-time (yet) and have to get to go to a regular job.  Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments :

  1. This is lovely...I keep eying headboards to make a bench, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. Love the finials you added!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great- I've never seen one before! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice bench! I like the saying you put on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. super job holly! You KNOW I love benches! I just painted on black this morning. I've always wanted vinyl sayings on them, but since I never had a way to get them on there, I've yet to do it. But NOW, I have a silhouette! You can bet there WILL be vinyl on some of mine now.
    love it girl!
    gail
    thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. I love the extra touches you added such as the finials and the saying on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a beautiful job making that bench! Thank you for sharing it on Masterpiece Monday. Have a great week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love to see how you creative peeps out there re-purpose things. It makes my toes curl..
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete