Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Little Red Desk....

Hi Everyone!  I finished a new project today and just couldn't wait to share it with you.  My friend Lynett picked up this desk (I think it might have actually been a vanity) at Goodwill and brought it to me during my open house last month.  When I saw the picture she sent me I was excited until I saw it in person.
The top is really slick and shiny plastic and the drawer fronts are actually plastic too.  But it's a great size and I really like the style of it.  So instead of donating it to the local used furniture shop in town, I decided to see what I could do with it.
After cleaning it and sanding it, I gave the whole thing a coat of primer because of the plastic pieces. Then I painted it with two coats of red paint and a top coat of satin sealer.
I decided to try something I hadn't done, I took brown shipping paper, crumbled it up, then decoupaged it to the top to make it look like leather.  And sealed it with 6 coats of Furniture Mod Podge.
I also added antique medium to the pulls that were silver and gold to give them a gold/brown aged look.  It's different than anything I've done before but I like that about it.  Have you ever done the brown paper decoupage method?  And if so, did you like how it turned out?  I'm not sure I'd do it again but it definitely camouflaged that slick plastic top.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments :

  1. I painted the same type of desk last year. I used ivory and a khaki green. Did a harlequin design on the top and ivory base with the khaki green drawers. Love what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little red desk looks fabulous Holly. I have done the brown paper bag, many times. I did like how it turned out for me. I did some wash and or stain over mine to highlight the veins of the crumples and edges.

    I did a piece like this last year, and painted the table, but left the top original. I loved how it turned out. It's now living it's happily ever after in Michigan. A reader wanted to buy it, and my cousin hauled it home with him for her to pick it up. :)

    ReplyDelete