Saturday, July 6, 2013

Something just for me...

Hi Everyone!  Happy weekend!  I have lots to accomplish this weekend but before I hit the shop, I thought I'd show you what I made and finished up last weekend....and it's just for me.  It's been a while since I've made anything for myself.  And I've needed this for a good long while...I meant to make it this winter, but then I started working on the Studio remake and very got it done.  And two weeks ago I needed it and so I started making it and finished it up this past weekend.
 I made myself a rolling workbench for the shop.  I've only needed it for about five years.....
 ...why did it take me so long....I really don't know...and now that I have it...I don't know how I've worked so long out there without it.
It's made out of 2x4's and 2x6's.  It's sturdy as can be and the wheels lock on it.  It's not too big or too small.  I can easily reach across it (which really does make a difference).  It has a bit of storage underneath it for the air compressor and nail gun and the battery chargers.  I still need to hook up the power cords so that I can plug everything in that I need and then plug into the heavy duty extension cord.  It has been sanded like crazy but I'm not planning on painting it.  I like it natural.  So let the building begin....and now I'm heading to the shop.  Thanks for stopping by!

Linking to:
http://staceyembracingchange.com/2013/07/11/creative-inspirations-linky-party-45/
http://www.livelaughrowe.com/live-laugh-linky-69/ 
http://www.504main.com/2013/07/tickled-pink-no-151.html 
http://www.alderberryhill.com/make-the-scene-monday-83/ 
http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/2013/07/wow-us-wednesdays-127.html 
http://theshadyporch.blogspot.com/2013/07/rock-n-share-50.html 
http://missmustardseed.com/2013/07/furniture-feature-friday-link-party-say-hello-to/ 
http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2013/07/party-junk-196-a-diy-link-party.html 

21 comments :

  1. Very nice! I like the rawness of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great piece. It would make a great kitchen island too. I need one of those but unfortunately I don't have any more room in the shop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! I agree with mimi, it would make a great island! I need one for the shop too, and was going to build one, but found one for $20. I knew I couldn't build one for that, the cost of the wheels alone were more than the table I bought. The table is working, but I wish it were taller. I love that it's on wheels because I work in the driveway and chase the shade all day! hahahah
    great job Holly, love that you got it done, now you can be oh so productive!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want one! I am using my Kreg jig on the floor of the garage (along with every other tool). What am I waiting for??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did it take you so long...because you are constantly working on things to sell! I am glad you took some time to make yourself something. I am sure it will get lots of use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'd like one too, if I had the space, and who could resist anything on wheels !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly what I've been wanting! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Thanks so much for linking your project up at LLR :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking workbench. Congrats on taking time to do something for yourself...it's hard to do! Thanks for sharing at the Shady Porch. Blessings, D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's awesome! I'm sooo jealous!

    I'm a newbie with power tools. Would you mind explaining how to do the support - under the top of the bench and between the 2 vertical legs? I don't see any "L" brackets, Looks like the support under the top and attached to the 2 vertical legs I'm talking about is maybe a "butt" joint? (perpendicular to the support I'm asking about) I can see the Nail heads (not a criticism at all, just an observation to learn more)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much. No L brackets or nails used. I used screws and glue to connect all the boards. The long boards on the sides are screwed into the legs using a but joint and the short boards on the sides are attached to the legs using my Kreg jig (you don't see the holes/screws because it is on the back side). Cross boards (at least three-one at the middle leg) from the two long boards (underneath the top) are screwed in from the sides again a but joint. I hope that helps answer your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So do you by chance have the specs on this I am looking to build one myself....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi ... I love your work bench, and would love to build one of my own .... do you have instructions to build it? Thanks KB

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a cool workbench. It would make an even cooler grill table for my green egg smoker. I have looking for a cheaper plan to build a table for it. Every other plan out there are more elaborate, but I think this table will work with a little modification so thanks for putting your table on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a cool workbench. It would make an even cooler grill table for my green egg smoker. I have looking for a cheaper plan to build a table for it. Every other plan out there are more elaborate, but I think this table will work with a little modification so thanks for putting your table on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know you don't have plans, by chance do you have the measurements. Length,depth, height etc. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it, I’m looking for a work bench to mount my saw.. can I ask where u found the pattered ? Or if you have the patteren to shear ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Use TotalBoat Halcyon Clear varnish to coat for protection. Makes your raw stuff look great! It is awesome for shop pieces!!

    ReplyDelete