Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Driftwood fish...

Hi Everyone!  I had a wonderful client stop in at an Open House a while back and after seeing this driftwood fish that I made for the wall...
 ....asked me if I could make her one on a stand out of driftwood she collected from the Great Lakes.  Liking a challenge, I of course said yes!  And this is what I came up with...
 I don't have any in process pictures to share because once I got started I didn't stop to take any pictures.  I began by laying out the pieces on my worktable, moving and fitting them around until I was happy with the shape and satisfied that each piece would fit nicely together.
 Then the dangerous part...drilling holes into each piece to attach the dowel rod through.  Some of the pieces I had originally decided to use didn't make it pass the drilling process.  They fell apart.  So then I had to rework the design to incorporate a different piece of driftwood.
 The pieces are attached to each other not just by the dowel, but also by nails and glue.  The base is a piece of reclaimed cedar that my grandpa had saved.  I cut it down to size, sanded it and drilled a hole into the base for the dowel to go into once it passes through the large piece of driftwood at the base.  The piece of driftwood a the base has also been  nailed and glued into place.

I'm really happy with how this turned out and better yet, so is my client.  She loved it.  Now I think I'm going to have to dig through my container of driftwood and make one for myself.  Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment :

  1. wow! that's amazing Holly! I don't think I would have the patience...in fact I KNOW I wouldn't.

    I like the larger pictures on your blog. :)

    gail

    ReplyDelete