Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chalk painted chair...

Hi Everyone!  I hope you are all surviving the heat wave that's going on around the country.  It's been so hot here this past week that it takes my breath away every time I step outside.  It has made it next to impossible to get any building done, so I'm now behind on my projects for the two upcoming craft fairs that I'm attending.  I've been working on small projects in the house and have yet to move the building inside.  But if the heat doesn't break soon, than that's what I'm going to have to do.  Cut my boards outside, carry them in and then put them together in my living room.  I had to do it that way last summer too.  I would rather not, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.  

So just what have I been working on...
This chair/step stool has been here on the farm ever since I can remember.  I've seen pictures of my older brother at about age 16 months sitting on it, looking just like it does in this picture, so I know it's been here for at least 40 years.  Before I moved in, it sat in the kitchen at the bottom of the stairs going up, holding the door open.  I moved upstairs into the hallway because I didn't need it in the kitchen and wasn't ready to remake it.  But now that I have the island in my kitchen almost completed, I needed stool and this is almost the perfect size.  It's a hair short, but I didn't want to spend much money on the island so I had to use what was on hand.  I could have taken it apart and reupholstered the back and the seat, but I didn't want to spend any money on this remake, so I painted it with ASCP in Graphite.
So here it is after it's paint transformation.  Sorry about the lighting on the picture, the back isn't really blotchy in the center.  I was surprised with how the chalk paint went on this one.  It didn't leave a texture like it does on furniture pieces and the vinyl still feels really soft.  We'll see how it holds up.  I can always reupholster it later when I feel like spending a little money on it.

The only thing I have left to do is attach the painted cork to the steps of the step stool part.  And the only reason I have to do that is because when I pulled the carpet off that had been on the steps it left a very gritty feel to it that I can't get off of it. 

I have a few more small things to do on the kitchen island and a couple of other stools to remake and then I'll be showing you the big reveal.  Well, thanks for stopping by.

Also, don't forget to sign up for the Uprinting.com giveaway.

Link Parties:


4 comments :

  1. way cool! I love the history, and that you KNOW the history of these pieces!
    gail
    try to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! And it looks so lovely too. I'm a huge fan of Graphite. Very cool!

    Thank you so much for linking up to my Paint, Please link party.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a chair like this too! I might just have to add this to the project list! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to fix up a chair that has been so long in your famiy. Great project.

    I am popping over from Sarah's great paint party. (Link #34)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete