Sunday, July 8, 2012

Living in chaos....

Hi Everyone.  I hope you are having a great weekend.  I started a project this past week that I could do inside because of this heat.  It's been too hot to work out in the shop.  And I've been tired of living in a project zone in my house.  I had basically turned my entire first floor into a workspace.  A project set up on my kitchen island.  Two on my dining room table.  Two large tables set up in my living room.  You get the idea.  Luckily it's just me and the dogs here on the farm because there are projects everywhere.  Not too mention the building projects in process out in the shop.

I decided to do something crazy.  Tuesday it was too hot to work out in the shop past about 10 am.  I got the crazy idea to rearrange my life and my living space.  My 1880's farmhouse has had several additions added to it in it's over 124 years life span.  My grandfather added an addition in the mid 60's that included the bathroom and a very large living room (15x23') that is the length of the entire original house and it has a doorway and very large open wall that leads into the front room of the house that I had turned into a dining room.
A painting of my home done by a relative of my grandmother.
 I decided Tuesday afternoon to eliminate my dining room and move my living room in there instead of the large living room.  So I started moving things around but it wasn't until Wednesday that I finally had most of my new living room set up.  There are still some things that need to be done in the living room but I'm happy with how it's going.  It is a very cozy space.  And since it's just me and the dogs, we don't need that much room.  My loveseat, big chair and recliner fit nicely.

And the old living room is being transformed into my studio.  My workroom.  My creative space.  My shop space.  My Studio!  I don't know why I didn't do this before.
I'm painting the walls.  I'm installing shelves.  I'm setting up display areas.  I'm setting up a photo area.  I'm building work tables with built-in shelves underneath the tables.  I have to figure out the lighting since there isn't a ceiling light.  I removed the curtains from the windows and have hung them in the large opening to separate the studio from the new living room.  I didn't want to install doors in the opening or put up permanent walls so the curtains are a nice compromise.
But I'm a bad blogger.  I didn't take any before pictures.  I thought I had some from before but I'm either not looking in the right place or I deleted them because I can't find them.  All I can find are the pictures I took before we moved out my grandparents furniture which I will share with you once I do the big reveal.  So if you've been wondering where I've been, now you know.  There are still so many things to do.  I have furniture that I need to move out but it's just been too hot to do but I'm hoping that changes over the next few days.  I have painting to finish and some building to do before the fun part can begin of styling my studio.  I can't wait for that part!  The dogs aren't happy about the changes but I think that's because things are still in chaos.  Hopefully the chaos ends soon.  Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments :

  1. My dog hates it if I move stuff around - he goes and hides in our bedroom - they just don't like change !
    The new studio sounds great - can't wait to see it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Can't wait to see what you do with your space. It takes courage to take rooms away from what they're "supposed" to be and turn them in to what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun!
    Can't wait to see the photos!
    ♥'s
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! so happy you'll be able to work at your leisure. You can fit things in (a coat of paint etc) while dinner is cooking and stuff like that. It really helps when you can do that.
    My problem (outside) is that I have to drag everything out, and put it all away at the end of the day. That takes a lot of time. At least you've not had to do that.
    Stay cool! Can't wait to see your new studio!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome for you.. I can't wait for the big reveal... a studio!!!! You deserve it... can't wait to see it.. I know what you mean about being too hot to work last week... and all the things to do... I'm hoping to get a couple things done this week too... Good Luck and I can't wait to see what you do...

    Carri

    ReplyDelete
  6. O.K. I want to know what Miss Donna thinks of this plan!! What will you do with the big table? What a great, great idea! It will be your nest even more now!

    ReplyDelete