Friday, July 13, 2012

Mirror, mirror and new finds....

Hi Everyone!  I hope you're all ready for a great weekend.  I will be working on my studio.  I need to get this finished so I can get back to work!  I'm getting behind on building up my inventory.  Plus I can't wait to have the chaos done.

Last week my co-worker Keith (the one that rescued the athletic baskets from the dump, you can read about that here) asked me if I wanted an old, large mirror.  Uh YES PLEASE!  He is remodeling his bathroom and took down this mirror and didn't want to just throw it out and he knew I might be able to do something with it.
 It's attached to some plywood and is in excellent condition.  I'm going to add some beefy molding to it.  I just need about 8 more hours in each day to get everything done.
 A shop opened in town recently that has used stuff.  It used to be a junk place that was too packed to walk through and where they left things sitting outside in all kinds of weather.  But now a new owner has come in and cleaned it all up, inside and out.  My mom stopped there the other day and told me I had to stop.  So I did on my lunch break.  I got this headboard/foot board for $5.00.  It's really short so I think I'll piece it out instead of making a bench with it.
I also picked up these six yard sticks for $1.00 each.  I've been looking for yard sticks.  I think I might have enough now to make something with them.
 The two tall ones are 48" sticks from Earl May Seed and Nursery.  If you're from the mid-west you might have heard of it.  Earl May Seed Company was started by Earl May in Shenandoah, Iowa (which is where I live) in 1919.  Shenandoah was the epicenter of the seed and nursery business back then.  Earl May's family still lives here where they still run the family business which has Garden Centers in Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas.  A little bit of history there.

Now I need to get back to painting my studio.  I hope you have a great weekend.  Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments :

  1. You found some really interesting things. I can't wait to see what you do with all of it. AND, I can't believe you got 6 yard sticks for $1. I was just at a flea market and NO ONE was selling any for less than $14 for one. I remember when they would give those out for free. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found some great bargains! I'm anxious to see what you make - especially the bench from the headboard and footboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to find some yard sticks over here, people do such amazing things with them, and looking forward to seeing your new studio Holly !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a 4 ft "yard stick" hahahah that's really cool!
    I went to The Junk Store today, and it's a lot like what your store use to be.
    In fact I saw them drive two trailers to the dump with quite a bit of good stuff on them...the girl inside told me that they didn't unload it quick enough and it got wet. Well, we haven't had rain in forever, so there's no telling how long it's been sitting. what a shame.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a yard stick stash too. I'm getting close....

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the yard sticks, have seen lots of fun project made with them. Thanks iso much for stopping by, Laura

    ReplyDelete