Friday, May 24, 2013

A few (one) of my favorite things....

Hi Everyone!  Well, tomorrow is the big day I (and my parents) have been working toward for the last several months...and I can't wait for the Open House for my Studio.  But first, I thought I'd share with you my very favorite thing I've made so far.
I apologize for the pictures...I just couldn't wait to share it with you and the lighting wasn't great.  I'll take some better pictures of it at the Open House.  In case you can't tell, it's a coffee table made out of a very large drawer.
I got these drawers free at work a couple of weeks ago (you can read about it here) and knew the minute I saw them what I was going to do with at least one of them.
I started out by cleaning them up...years of use in a plumbing shop made them very dirty.  Then I reinforced the bottom of the drawer.  I attached five inch wheels to the base (the wheels are hard to see in the picture).  Then I framed out the top of the drawer to give it a nice finished look. 
Since I was making the top so it would open from both sides, I decided the inside needed a pop of color, so I spray painted it Lagoon.  I think it's a nice surprise when you open the top.
I painted the outside and top in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.  And attached the top using piano hinges.
I then did some light distressing of the entire outside and waxed it with both clear and dark wax.
And I'm loving how it turned out.  Just like I had envisioned it when I saw the drawer.  If I still had a living room, I would so be keeping this for myself, but since I don't....it will be for sale at my open house this weekend.  In my minds eye, I can see this going to a home with a family ...and years of games being played on the top and games or blankets stored inside....can't you see it too?

Well, I'm almost ready for the open house...just a bit of cleaning and straightening left to do tonight and then tomorrow the final set-up of items.  If the weather is good, some things will be outside on the patio..the rest has already been staged inside the studio.  I have several helpers coming...and I hope the people come too.  I promise to take pictures of the studio and outside once things are set up so I can share the day with all of you.  Thanks for stopping by.

Linking to:
http://www.myrepurposedlife.com/2013/05/catch-as-catch-can-124.html 
http://www.504main.com/2013/06/tickled-pink-no-148.html 
http://www.lizmarieblog.com/2013/06/inspire-me-linky-party-14/ 

9 comments :

  1. Love that you painted the inside such a fun color! Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what you did with those drawers you found? WOW! You are impressive my friend...very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this too Holly, you can't beat a great bit of storage, that is also on castors. Actually I'd like this just as much as I'd like an Ottoman !
    You always amaze me with the amount of things you get done Holly and I really hope you have a fantastic weekend with the Open House, you so deserve it.
    Good Luck to you, and your parents !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you clever girl you!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. clever indeed! love the drawer on wheels! I've gotten quite a collection of wheels lately. I plan to start putting them to work real soon.

    happy that the weekend was a great success for you!!!!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea! I just pinned it and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing idea! Practical storage and its cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so talented. However, I must be missing something, I have been starring at those pictures and re-reading this post over and over. I cannot figure out how or what you made the top with? I have been wanting to get a coffee table in my front room for years,but worry about my little ones getting hurt. I love this idea, because it's low to the ground, and love the storage for games, toys, etc. I would so appreciate it if you could let me know how you finished the top, Thanks
    rcook_27@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must have missed this post, I love how this turned out! What a great idea it's really cool!

    ReplyDelete