Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A stressful month...

Hi Everyone!  Sorry I haven't been around lately but there have been a lot of things going on around here and I couldn't find the words to write.  My nephew Quinton (who I've shared with you before when he came to stay with my parents for a month and helped me in the shop) has spent a month at Children's Hospital in Illinois.  He had a bicycle wreck that scrapped up his left knee and it was healing but about a month after the bike wreck he started having problems with pain in his joints that were so severe that they rushed him to the ER and then they sent him on to Children's because he had developed MRSA through the open wound on his knee.  MRSA is a flesh-eating bacteria that is drug resistant and attacks the joints. 
  Once it was diagnosed it moved quickly to the point that my brother called my parents asking them to come, it didn't look good.
They had to put him on a respirator, which he had to have in for weeks.
My brother with Quinton.
 He had to have four surgeries, he had blood clots, problems with his lungs and heart.  It was a nightmare.  He lost 18 pounds (and he was skinny to begin with) and is on crutches now.
 There would be one step forward and then two back.  This was his first time sitting up and standing and took three weeks to get to this point.
And it was wonderful to see him actually get to leave his room.  And now he's finally home.  But he still has a very long road of recovery to travel.  He hasn't been to school yet this year.  He has been working with a tutor to stay up with his classmates.  His mother is a teacher and has also not been to school yet this year.  It's been a tough month for my family but we are all thankful that things have finally turned around and I just couldn't find the words to share it with you all.  I promise to get back to posting the projects I've been working on....I have a few to share.  And right now I'm getting ready for a show next weekend.  And as always, thanks for stopping by.

8 comments :

  1. Holly, I am so sorry to hear about what's been happening for your poor nephew! Very happy that he is making some improvements, and hope he continues to heal and receive the care that he needs. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, poor little fellow. Can't even imagine the worry that your family has been going through. Glad to hear that he's on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of your family's troubles and also glad to hear that your nephew is on the road to recovery. Sending healing wishes to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. I'm so glad was able to go home and is doing better. Sending a hug to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your nephew. Poor little boy, what a bad experience!
    I hope he gets well very very soon.
    Donatella (Italy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise the Lord he pulled through. I'm so happy for him and your whole family that although the road being traveled is difficult, that he's along with you for the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly.... the pictures are scary. I can't believe how much weight Quinton has lost. I'm so happy that things have started to look up a little after such a long road....Wishing Quinton a very speedy recovery, and hoping the family can get a little rest now that he's sleeping in his own bed!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Holly, I was so sad to read this post but so glad that your nephew is on the road to recovery. I know about MRSA all too well, because it is all too prevalent in the hospitals over here and my father broke his leg in 2007, contracted it and passed away.
    I can only imagine what you must have gone through and I am so very glad that he pulled through xx

    ReplyDelete