Thursday, June 9, 2011

A sneak peek...

Hi Everyone!  I promised a sneak peek of my kitchen island today so that is what I'm going to give you.  I'm not done with it because I've had a lot of distractions lately and I sort of changed directions on it.  I originally thought I would put some bead board on the back of the cabinet but went a different way with it.  I have yet to paint the base but have moved onto the top of it because not having a work surface of any kind is driving me crazy.  I moved out the kitchen table weeks ago.  Actually it's been almost two months.  Did I really get that sidetracked?  I just looked at it and I did the post on April 16th!  Check it out here.

 Originally my plan for the top was to stain it, but then I got to thinking about the farm table top I made for a display table and decided to use that as my inspiration.  I really like how this turned out, so I'm creating that vibe for the island counter top.
 Here's a sneak peek at the counter top.  It has had a dark grey base coat and white top coat.
 Plus I've painted the underside a charcoal gray color so the boards don't warp.
I've started sanding the whole thing to reveal the gray but it's been so hot here and the shop is not air conditioned so I've only been able to do a little at a time.  It finally cooled off some today so maybe tonight after work I can get the sanding done.  I plan to reveal some of the board in places so it looks really worn.  I just don't think I'll add the bolts to it.  I like that look but I don't think it's very practical in the kitchen.  I'll need to seal it before moving it into the kitchen.  Then I can work on painting the cabinet and won't have to worry about the next heat wave coming through.  So stay tuned, more to come on my kitchen island redo.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments :

  1. ohhh, it's going to be fabulous! I can't wait. :)
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Holly! I like it a lot. Your brother's next farm project should definitely be air-conditioning in the workshop - you can tell him I suggested it!

    ReplyDelete