Thursday, June 23, 2011

Garden bench....

Hi Everyone!  Happy Thursday!  I'm still working on my kitchen island in between spending time with my nephew Quinton and the projects we've been working on.  I'll share those when we get them done.  Today, I wanted to show you the bench I made for my sister-in-law (Quinton's mom).  It is made entirely out of cedar from the farm that my grandfather saved.  The seat is by far the best piece of cedar I've seen.  It's two full inches thick (not the 2" of today that is actually and 1-1/2") and it is 13" wide.  To find a piece of cedar like that today would cost you an arm and a leg!  So thanks to grandpa for saving it.  I have several other pieces that are just as great!  Sorry, I get so excited about great pieces of wood.

Posted by Picasa
I would have liked to make it larger, it's only about 36" wide, just large enough to be able to sit down and put your shoes on, but it had to fit in the back of my parents SUV along with all their luggage since my brother's family doesn't live around here.  But it's just the right size for the space on their patio by the door. 

I didn't paint it because the cedar was just so cool looking and I knew my brother would prefer it this way,  plus, I don't think they'd want to repaint it and I know my brother doesn't like the whole chippy paint look.  He just doesn't get it.  But this is how it looked after my brother stained it to match the deck.  I also made them a different Welcome sign to go with the darker stain.  It looks nice and this goes with their taste, just not mine.  Which way would you have preferred it?  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments :

  1. It's sooo cute! I love the style. I'm not a fan of cedar (like the smell, but that's about it)
    Although I've never seen cedar this pretty! I think I like it natural, but stained is nice too. Guess I'm on the fence with this one.
    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bench! This is a true treasure and great repurpose of the old cedar board. i would have been excited to find that too!

    ReplyDelete