Thursday, June 9, 2011

Be happy...

Hi Everyone!  I know I promised a sneak peek of my kitchen island and I will, but I first wanted to show you the latest sign/jar/knob wall hanging thingy (I need to come up with a better name but am at a loss as to what to call it) that I made.  This is what I came up with, from all things that I had on hand. 
I've had this bottle in my stash for a couple of years, just because I liked the look of it and pulled it out the other day to use as a bud vase for some flowers I cut from one of my flower beds.  Then it dawned on me that it was the perfect size and shape for a sign.  I decided to dress it up with some jute but that looked to plain until I made the swirl for the front.
I had a couple of hooks I could of used but came across these wooden pulls that had just the right amount of wear on them so I didn't need to do anything to them but attach them.
 I found this scrap piece of baseboard, painted it black, then white, then country tan.  Then I lightly sanded the board and attached the stainless steel clamp and the knobs.  I couldn't decide on the saying.  It had to be a short saying because this board is only about 13" long.  Every time I saw flowers in the bottle it made me happy, so that's what I went with...Be happy.
I sketched the lettering on and then hand painted it white but that looked too dull, so I added the black shadow...ah much better, plus it ties in the black knobs and the black base coat.  And I'm happy with it.  Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments :

  1. I love that sign!!! Thank you so much for linking up to "It's a Party"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - I love the fact that you can put flowers in the "vase" to brighten the room! Fantastic!!
    I am glad that I followed your link from the 36th Avenue "Share your Awesomeness" Link Party, I too am linking up if you'd like to visit.
    Hugs, antonella
    My post: http://quilling.blogspot.com/2011/06/filigree-friday-free-graduation.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute! Besides "home sweet home", "be happy" is my absolute favorite. When I did my family rules sign, I put at the very top!

    Love yours!
    gail

    ReplyDelete