Monday, March 21, 2011

Wreath Stand...

Happy Monday Everyone!  I thought I'd show you one of the things I did this weekend.  I made a wreath holder.  I'm sure you've all seen the metal wreath holders you can buy in stores.  I think they cost too much so I've been making them for over a year now.

 Here's the stand with a very large sheet music wreath on it.  (Trust me, it's behind there).
Here are a couple of stands.  The super tall one is for sitting on the floor, without being to near the floor.
Here's how I make them.  I cut a scrap block of wood that's 4"x4" down to the size I want, in this case it's about 10" tall.  I cut a 1"x8" and a 2"x8" scrap piece of wood down to the same size.  I never use any real measurements, I just sort of go with what I think looks good together and what I can find in my scrap barrel.  And of course I dug out one of the spindles a friend was nice enough to give me after they took down their porch.  Before I started putting anything together, I sanded all the wood with my orbital sander so I wouldn't have to sand anything after it's together.  I find it works better that way.
On both the 1"x8" and 2"x8" boards I found the center and marked it with an X.
Then I pre-drilled a counter sink hole into both pieces of wood so that the screw is sunk into the wood.
Then I found the middle of the block of wood, used Gorilla Glue and a 3" screw to attach the 2"x8" to the block of wood.
I did the same thing to the 1"x8" piece of wood to attach it to the spindle.
Using my handy nail gun, I glued and nailed the 1"x8" piece of wood with the attached spindle to the block of wood.
Then I added a coat hook to the spindle and a ball with a flat edge to the top to sort of finish it off. 
Now, I just need to paint it.  I'm thinking it needs to be a bold color like maybe red or a navy blue.
I've also recycled wooden closet dowels into wreath stands, like the black one.  I'll have to get this painted and into the shop.  Well, thanks for stopping by.

3 comments :

  1. hiya ,i am visitinf form catch as catch can and your newest follower x what a great idea and great tutorial too , tfs , hope you stop by mine sometime too
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! You can really use up all your scraps this way and never make the same one twice.
    -Bethanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. great! You know I love making things out of scraps!
    Wreath stands are very handy!
    gail
    ps "catching" you this week

    ReplyDelete